2006-05-07

B41 - Spyware, Viruses, Trojans, Malware, Worms, etc.

Hi again
Recently I've had to do some computer realted problem solving and it's been a learn as you go process. My solutions to "slow downs" and "freezes" has been to purge my internet cookies, files and history and then run "disk cleanup" then "disc defragment" and finally run Registry Mechanic and then re-boot the system. My computer would work fine for a few hours or maybe days and then it would begin do the same thing. I had been careful to scan any files I downloaded so what else was and is going on?

In my ignorance I figured that if I had Norton and PC Spyware doctor that I was safe and protected - WRONG. It's not that they don't work, it's that they don't catch everything that's out there on the Net. So I began to search the net for information and other spyware to help my computer fend off these attacks. After a myriad of searches and reads I decided to download a free program called Spybot - Search & Destroy. I wouldn't go into the details of what happened as you can read that at the following Spybot S&D Forum post "Download with a "Surprise"

I was pleasantly surprised that I got a quick reply from a "real person" so I decided to download the program again and this time it worked. I posted my results and again I got a reply from a real person and I also got links to the real information that I was looking for called The Spyware Warrior that also provides a "List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites" and it was last updated Apr 23 2006. That also linked me up to another site called The Adware Report with tons of information.

I feel that there are a lot of people out there that are ignorant like me when it comes to computers and the internet. What we don't see, hear or know can hurt us or rather our computers. That's why I'm posting this piece, to share some "tools" of knowledge to arm ourselves against the forces that desire to cause harm. This "war" or being attacked is far from over but I'm beginning to separate the truth from the illusion of truth.

Hummm. I find it's interesting that there is this parallelism between the computer being attacked and we "humans" being attacked and in both cases, it's energy that is involved.

Humm, more food for thought.
John

No comments: