2006-10-19

B114 - First day on the job...

Well yesterday I started my part time job... It was a bit overwhelming at first, with thousands of items, some with GST and PST (tax) and then others with only GST and still other with no tax... It was a different pace than what I've been accustomed to.. It's like my life has been slow paced like the turtle and now it was like the road runner... I was put on cash and did a sample sale.. and while it went OK.. it was foreign to me as I had never done "that" specific function before. Not that I haven't worked cash, but it was different policies, procedures, a different register, different packaging, it was like learning it all over again...

I was walking down an isle with one of the girls that was telling me about the products, we approached an elderly woman trying to reach the top shelf and put back some product she had taken down. As I came up to her and saw her struggling and I offered to help her. As I took the product from her hands, she apologized for not being able to put them back and as she was talking I could feel the pain she was having in her body as she had strained and hurt herself, so much so that it brought tears to my eyes... She thanked me and moved on... and I returned to my tour...

I later realized that yesterday brought up my issues of school and of not knowing what was going on and doubting that I could learn, know and do what the others knew... Although we spoke the same language, (not like my school experience) it was still a different language than what I was used to...

Today I went in again for another four hour shift and I felt more comfortable... I re-stocked some shelves and then watched the cashiers as they dealt with customers. I didn't feel as intimidating as I was catching on to the products and taxes... It's not all that complicated.. but it is when you are first introduced to it... I feel that they'll put me on cash tomorrow... at least for a couple of hours... It's also not like you're a alone as there are others around that can help you...

UPDATE: '06 Oct 20 Well today I was on the line and after a couple of hours with supervision I was put on my own... I managed to log in sales of just over $900.00 in four hours and was short $.02 at the end of my four hour shift... I had a couple of gliches... but overall things went well... My legs and feet are a bit sore today as there is a lot of standing but that is expected as I've been doing a lot of sitting at my computer these past few months... so I feel I need this...

No comments: